Q. How can COBRA coverage be lost?
A. Qualified beneficiaries lose COBRA continuation coverage when:
- The employer terminates its health plan.
- Beneficiaries fail to pay their premium by the end of the applicable grace period.
- Coverage begins under another employer’s plan, unless a beneficiary has a preexisting condition not covered under the new group health plans.
- Beneficiaries enroll in Medicare after the date of their COBRA election may lose their COBRA eligibility.
- Social Security Administration makes a final determination that a qualified beneficiary is no longer disabled, unless exceptions exist.